Question on OSI position on BSD/MIT licenses

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Tue Oct 2 04:31:19 UTC 2007

Unless the OSI has registered the terms “open source” as a protected
trademark requiring such approval, the only thing protected is the OSI
compliance logo and the declaration of compliance or approval by OSI. I
don’t think that “open source” is protected, just because OSI has initiated
a process to verify these assertions, simply because the terms pre-existed
and was used long before OSI started its campaign. We’ve seen the terms
“open source” (with or without hyphen, with or without capitals) used since
the early time of BSD and MIT or FSF licences, or even in sources donated to
the “public domain”.

These past claims remain valid and OSI cannot become the exclusive owner of
these terms. What makes the OSI approval important is the fact that the
approval is recognized by other companies or sites (like SourceFourge) as
offering a good protection for those sites against possible copyright
infringement claims (so the policy of these third-party sites includes some
requirement such as the OSI approval for ensuring the compatibility of the
hosted projects using these licences).

  _____