license categories, was: I'm not supposed to use the ECL v2?

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 06:28:57 UTC 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 6:54 PM, Ernest Prabhakar <ernest.prabhakar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Nov 29, 2007, at 6:29 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
>
> > I notice that any reasonable reading of that page would seem to
> > suggest that the use of the GPL v3 (being incompatible with the GPL
> > v2 and not as widely used) is strongly discouraged by the OSI.  I
> > trust this was not the intent.
>
> You are correct, but I was working off the September 2006
> categorization:
>
> https://osi.osuosl.org/wiki/help/recommend
>
> I've added a note to that effect, since I'm not ready to go beyond
> that on my own.

I think we *should* probably start a thread about  how projects typically
select licenses, and what sort of (non-legal) advice they would give to
someone asking what license to choose.

Of course.  Here is how I would word it given the current objective:

There are, of course, many factors which can go into choosing a license,
However many copyleft licenses are incompatible with the copyleft licenses
in this list.  One would do well to note that a great deal of software under
licenses such as the GPL v2 might not be useful to your project if you use
more obscure licenses, hence you may lose out on valuable opportunities if
you choose a lesser-known license.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers