public? Re: Call for Votes: New OSI-Editors List

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 08:08:31 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 7:48 PM, Zak Greant <zak at greant.com> wrote:

> My experience in open communities on the web is that healthy and
> effective community mores flow from credible leadership who actively
> demonstrate desired behaviors and who provide an example of how the
> written rules for the group should be practiced.

Agreed.

> Thus, I believe that there is a strong benefit to having a mix of the
> most active participants and well-respected leaders steer the OSI
> community and mailing lists towards a more productive (and friendlier)
> state.

Agreed here too.

> My view is that the editors will maintain the canon - the generally
> accepted knowledge of the OSI community.

Hmm.....  I am not sure there is such a canon.  I have no problem
suggesting that certain consensus and politically neutral community
resources should be maintained.  This is hardly the same thing though.

> I agree that your greatest value is to discuss these issues rather
> than to catalogue them.
>
> However, we still need other experts who can recognize the issues for
> what they are and deal with them appropriately.

I guess I am confused about what sort of issues you thing need to be dealt with.

Issues such as:  does the GPL v3 require the ability to change
licenses to the GPL v3 from other licenses for them to be compatible?
(I don't believe that is an issue for the OSI.)

Or issues such as:  How do we provide general advice on license
selection without going too much into the legal issues?  That is more
of an OSI issue.

> The nominations are open. However, I believe that non-experts -
> without a good deal of coaching - will lack the ability to properly
> triage and archive the issues. Also, I believe that I have good
> reasons for wanting experts initially.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers