public? Re: Call for Votes: New OSI-Editors List

Zak Greant zak at greant.com
Wed Nov 28 03:17:05 UTC 2007

Hey Brian, Greetings All,

On 11/27/07, Brian Behlendorf <brian at hyperreal.org> wrote:
> > I am curious as to what you thought that you were signing up for?
>
> Go easy, Zak, we're still defining all this.

Fair enough. :)

I should likely have bit my tongue - or my fingers, as it were. I took
umbrage at Larry writing, "I am not able to take responsibility for
the trac tickets or database", as it gave me the impression that he
hadn't taken the time to know what he was signing up for.

> The conflict of interest
> portion rubbed me the wrong way too; just like the Wikipedia's ban on
> people being able to edit their own or employers' pages.  I can see not
> allowing someone who *proposed a license* to be allowed to triage issues
> associated with that license, but otherwise I think the transparency of
> actions and natural diversity of opinions between editors will keep us
> honest.

This is why I cast the role description as a draft or a strawman.

I hope that I've been approachable on this and other points.

If not, then it isn't my intent to be overly dictatorial - just
dictatorial enough to keep the process moving along.

> I do have sympathy for Larry's position that the more administerial this
> activity is defined to be, the more it seems like something OSI could hire
> for.  But I don't think it was intended to be administerial - we're not
> being asked to be Eunuchs writing a book on sex.

Righto. The editors need to understand the issues that are involved if
they want to be effective.

--
Cheers!
--zak