Question on OSD #5

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Nov 27 22:27:09 UTC 2007

Tzeng, Nigel H. wrote:

> I am not certain your point here.  The objective is to share code as
> much as possible.  The definition of "possible" may differ among folks
> but the sharing of code should be a common enough goal.

The objective of permissive licences is to achieve that, and they
achieve this by allowing derivative works to have non-open source
licences.  You seem to be talking about the resulting non-open source
licences.

Copyleft licences attempt aim to prevent the creatin of non-open source
works from the licenced material.  They maximise the rights of
downstream recipients, but possibly reduce the number of those recipients.

If businesses could avoid providing source and free licences to
recipients of copyleft licences simply by saying that the charter of the
business didn't allow them to give away source code, a lot of businesses
would set up to exploit that loophole.

> Yes, but they may need to distribute a binary version only and limit
> access to source code because the end users have no "need to know".

That is definitely not open source.  I'm sure every supplier of
proprietary, closed source, software would argue that their customers
had no need to know (although my experience is that, in many cases, the
source code is the only accurate documentation, and users have an
unsatisfied need to know how the software really works.

With the GPL, users with no need to know need not be supplied with the
source code and they won't ask for it.

> An example of this would be the use of a classified physics or behavior
> models that descibes the performance of a system or tactic.  The system
> may use this internally as a intermediate step that is used to compute an
> outcome for a user.  The user should not have knowledege of how the
> answer was developed as would reveal information they have no need to
> know even though they have the clearance to use the product itself.

In that case you are not giving them open source code.  It might be
derived from permissively licensed open source code, and you might be
giving them the closed source binaries, or you might be providing it
using an Application Service Provider, with no access to the code.  The
latter is allowed by the GPL V2, but is resented by a lot of people on
the copyleft side of open source, and there have been several licences
proposed that require any ASP to allow download of its source code.  I
haven't read the GPL V3 closely enough in this respect.

With the GPL, it is a specific aim that users should be able to discover
how the software works.

> If I make the business case that releasing IP with some potential value
> as open source rather than conventional licensing because it provides my
> insititution ROI in the form of mindshare and potential service/enhacement
> revenue then it would be helpful to show that hijacking the project is
> somewhat
> less likely than with the case with a purely permissive license.

The open source community doesn't like a situation where the original
licence holder can use contributions in proprietary works but third
parties can't.  If contribution back is voluntary, not many people with
volunteer under those circumstances, and if it is mandatory, the
software is likely to rejected in favour of a more open alternative.

Generally, open source businesses are expected either to make their
money from services or to sell non-open source versions that do not
include contributions from the open source community.

> However, for bug fixes and enhancements to the core code it would be
> annoying
> to do so and the path of least resistance is to simply return the
> changes upstream.
> Especially if there is legal incentive to do so.

As noted above, you will run into the problem that many in the open
source community considers this to be free-loading and will resist
feeding back detailed bug fixes if they think they will end up in
non-open source software.

--
David Woolley