public? Re: Call for Votes: New OSI-Editors List

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Nov 27 22:06:55 UTC 2007

Zak Greant wrote:
> It is primarily an administrative, ombuds and service role - rather
> than making policy, editors focus on helping good and representative
> policy to be made.

Given this definition of the role, I withdraw my agreement to serve. I do
not have time to perform an administrative function that OSI cannot fund
directly by its Board doing necessary fundraising.

> In their role as editors, editors do not raise issues or give input on
> the issues. If an editor has an issue to raise or input to give as an
> individual, then they may not act as an editor for the relevant issue.

Particularly if an editor does not actually provide input on issues, then
the experts you have already recruited seem ill-suited for this more limited
editorial role. I now vote -1 to all of them, considering that we will waste
their talents in this way. I'd much rather they stay on license-discuss and,
like John Cowan and me, comment on the issues whenever they can.

/Larry