Question on OSD #5

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Tue Nov 27 03:53:45 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 7:07 PM, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
>
>> I think this requirement (to retain a given copyright statement) can be
>> waived by the copyright holder in question.
>
> Does anything in the GPL v2 prevent anonymous contributions?  I.e.
> even if you have a requirement to say what changed, if a contributor
> requests anonymity, I can't see any rational reason why that would run
> amok with the license.

It doesn't explicitly say, but GPLv2 would seem to have passed Debian's
notorious Dissident Test (http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html),
so I'd assume yes.  Note that making an anonymous, non-copyrighted
modification is different than requiring someone remove your copyright
statement.

Matt Flaschen