Call for Votes: New OSI-Editors List

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Tue Nov 27 03:04:44 UTC 2007

Rod Dixon wrote:
> Yes, I am willing to help by serving on the OSI-editor list, and I
> support the other candidates as well.
>
> As a point of clarification, I do have one question.  Am I correct in my
> understanding that the osi-editors list was proposed to fulfill an
> essentially organizational need (to aid in the tasks listed
> below)...leaving substantive discussion and up-or-down voting on
> submitted licenses as a function of the license-discuss list, which will
> still have an open membership?
>
> - Rod

This is an important question, and shouldn't be at all ambiguous.
Essentially, I think OSI-editors should be bureaucratic, with the open
license-discuss continuing to advise the Board on the substantive issues.

Ernest created a (probably unintentional) seed of doubt with, "Given the
emotional nature of open source -- and the legal sensitivity of many of
these topics -- I want to have a small list of trusted people who are
able to edit it."

To me, the Board and license-discuss will continue to do the real work
of "editing" open source, while the OSI-editors should be more
"implementing" it, by facilitating (but never directing) the work of
both groups.

Matthew Flaschen