public? Re: Call for Votes: New OSI-Editors List

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 22:16:53 UTC 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 2:00 PM, Ernest Prabhakar <ernest.prabhakar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Zak & Matt,
>
> On Nov 24, 2007, at 7:37 PM, Zak Greant wrote:
[...]
> > I would prefer public archives.
>
> I think public archives are a useful idea, though we should also have
> a "no-archive" option for sensitive items (legal, personnel) that
> wouldn't be appropriate for a public archive.

I'd likewise prefer public archives.  I've noticed that people who
want to work in secret sometimes like to do so to hide their own
incompetence, and I wouldn't want to provide anyone with fuel to
launch such criticisms.  Particularly when there is already an
expressed desire to improve the openness and transparency of the
process.

That said, I can see how occasionally sensitive things might be said
that should not appear in public.  But the default should be to make
things public.

Ben