Call for Votes: New OSI-Editors List

Zak Greant zak.greant at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 03:37:07 UTC 2007

Hi Matt,

On 11/24/07, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > A *huge* thanks to Zak for his tireless efforts in setting up -- and
> > populating -- a new OSI issue tracking system.
>
> Agreed.  Zak has been doing a great job.

Thanks!

> > The idea is that the osi-editors list would be composed of long-term
> > license-discuss members who have demonstrated their commitment to the
> > community.
>
> I see why a new list is needed (it will be focused on meta-issues
> relating to process, as opposed to actual consideration of licenses),
> but am not sure limiting membership in the new list is necessary.

I'd prefer to treat membership in the editor's group as something like
commit access on a free/open software project.

I'd also prefer it that the editors are nominated by community members
and that the nominations are validated by the community at large.

If we don't have these controls, it is likely that that the ticket
system function more like a forum or mailing list - which is not
desirable. The ticket system is meant to be a place where we can
easily see the full range of opinions on any issue that we are
tracking, rather than a place where people can discuss.

> Also, is this meant to have private archives?

I would prefer public archives.

> +1 on Brian Behlendorf, John Cowan, Chris DiBona, Rick Moen, Allison
> Randall, Larry Rosen, Ben Tilly, Andrew Wilson, and Zak Greant.

Votes noted.

Note that John Cowan declined his nomination in message
http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:14870

> Also, I would like to suggest David Woolley, Arnoud Engelfriet, Andrew
> Oliver, and Dag-Erling Smorgrav for consideration.

I've listed their nominations at
https://osi.osuosl.org/wiki/editor/voting/2007-11

I'll happily support any editor that follows the guidelines and
requirements for the role.

These new nominees will need to indicate if they do or do not accept
their nomination.

--
Cheers!
--zak