ECL 2.0 and New Questions!

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Nov 23 22:30:06 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:
>> to use it for open source software if there were any doubt that the
>> organisation had the right to grant the licence.
>
> I would ask what licenses avoid these issues.  I.e. if an organization
> does not have the right to grant the patent, wouldn't that invalidate
> the patent license anyway?  IANAL, and I could be missing something.

I'm not sure you understand the complexity of the situation here.  The
licensor of the software has the right to obtain a patent and then grant
patent licences but that right is constrained by a contract, such that
they don't have the right to grant royalty free or even RAND licences
for the software.

Moreover, at the time they issue the software licence, they don't know
that the invention is actually subject to the contract, at best because
the team that is working on the project subject to the contract has not
told the licensing department that they have also made the same
invention, or, if US patent law allows this scenario, because that team
realises, after the software is released, that they can use the
invention in the software in their project, and as it is invented by the
same organisation, slap a patent on it and then exclusively licence it
to their client, within the one year grace period.

The problem is associated with granting the specific licence, not with
granting some licence.

> Even the GPL v3 only applies exceptions to this in the case of
> distribution relying on a third party explicit patent license (implied

This is not a third party patent.  It is a patent that is,
retrospectively, granted to the licensor of the software.

--
David Woolley