MS-RL equivalents?

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Wed Nov 21 21:41:18 UTC 2007

Is there an approved license like MS-Reciprocal License without the patent grant?  I have already rejected LGPL and MS-RL would be fine except I don't want to have to prove that my software isn't providing access to some patent created by some other inventor here.  I simply want to convey the copyright of the software my team has developed with the knowledge that my team doesn't itself have any patents.  That reduces the potential friction in releasing software under an open source license when an organization has patents but you as a developer don't know (or want to) what they specifically are.

I started clicking through each license muttering "I really wished these things were categorized by permissive/reciprocal/etc".  I like MS-RL because its short and is on a file-by-file basis which makes it easy to understand which pieces have to be reciprocated under the terms.

If not, I can recommend MS-RL with the proviso that each open source release much first verify that they aren't stepping on someone else's toes.