Open Source vs opensource

fwilf at morganlewis.com fwilf at morganlewis.com
Wed Nov 21 13:33:39 UTC 2007

Paolo,

This is the computer industry.  What do you *want* the terms to mean?  ;-)

The OSI definition of "Open Source" is well documented at
http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd and on this list (and related lists and
web sites)

The generic use of the term "open source" is open to interpretation.  Much
of the OSI definition (the "OSD") evolves from what open source
professionals and users *want* the term to mean.  Attributes include
availability of the source code, the right to modify the source code, and
the requirement that modified versions of the source code also be made
available.

So, there are some differences between the generic term "open source"
(which no one owns, and thus is open to debate), and the Open Source
Definition as implemented by OSI.

What is the particular issue or application you and your friend are
discussing?

All the best,

Fred Wilf
Frederic M. Wilf  <>  Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP
fwilf at morganlewis.com  <>  www.morganlewis.com
215.963.5453  <>  1701 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103, USA
609.919.6646  <>  502 Carnegie Center, Princeton, NJ 08540, USA

             "Paolo
             Ciarrocchi"
             <paolo.ciarrocchi                                          To
             @gmail.com>               license-discuss at opensource.org
                                                                        cc
             11/21/07 04:47 AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Open Source vs opensource

Hi all,
this is my first post here so I do apologize in advance if I'm raising
a question not appropriate to this mailing list. If so, please point
me the right discussion board :-)

I'm having a discussion with a local Lug member about the definition
of Open Source, we are now stuck because he started arguing about the
difference between opensource and Open Source.

Well, to be hones this is the first time I heard about a possible
difference between the Open Source and opensource. My understanding is
that he believes that opensource means "availability of source code"
while Open Source means what we all know, "availability of source
code" and an OS license.

Is it correct to state that an opensource software is different from
an Open Source one?

Thanks.
--
Paolo
http://paolo.ciarrocchi.googlepages.com/

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message is intended only for the personal
use of the recipient(s) named above. This message may
be an attorney-client communication and as such privileged
and confidential.  If you are not an intended recipient,
you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If
you have received this communication in error, please
notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the original
message.