Communication skills

Zak Greant zak.greant at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 19:57:23 UTC 2007

Hi Chris, Greetings All,

On 11/15/07, Chris Travers <chris.travers at gmail.com> wrote:
> > FreeBSD has used more than one license in it's history (IIRC) and its
> > various components are not all coherently licensed.
>
> Ok so what do you do when someone asks whether the FreeBSD License is
> OSI approved?

It is much the same situation as the Expat licenses (which, IIRC, is
also called the MIT license or the X11 license by various groups)

> Do you object to Russ's proposal as well?

Lightly. I'd prefer that the license have a reasonable canonical name
and that there is a list of major projects who use the same license
under a different name.

> > We clearly understand the problems associated with naming a license
> > after an organization or product when there are multiple licenses that
> > could validly be called by that name.
>
> While we are on that topic, maybe we should change the web site from
> "GNU General Public License" to "GNU General Public License version
> 2?"  (BTW, that is a serious suggestion.)

Good point. I've dropped it into Trac. I've even gone so far as to
assume that it should just be done. :)

https://osi.osuosl.org/ticket/43

> > Choosing the name, "Simplified BSD License" provides a relatively
> > clear description of what the license is - assuming that the audience
> > knows what the BSD license is.
> >
> But it still leads to community confusion.  At very least, we need an
> acknowledgement that this license is sometimes called the FreeBSD
> License.

Absolutely!

--
Cheers!
--zak

p.s. I'll drop the rest of this into Trac as well, I just have a lot
more messages to work through on the main focus of this thread.