Communication skills

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 19:36:49 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 11:27 AM, Zak Greant <zak.greant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes.
>
> FreeBSD has used more than one license in it's history (IIRC) and its
> various components are not all coherently licensed.

Ok so what do you do when someone asks whether the FreeBSD License is
OSI approved?

Do you object to Russ's proposal as well?

> We clearly understand the problems associated with naming a license
> after an organization or product when there are multiple licenses that
> could validly be called by that name.

While we are on that topic, maybe we should change the web site from
"GNU General Public License" to "GNU General Public License version
2?"  (BTW, that is a serious suggestion.)

> Choosing the name, "Simplified BSD License" provides a relatively
> clear description of what the license is - assuming that the audience
> knows what the BSD license is.

But it still leads to community confusion.  At very least, we need an
acknowledgement that this license is sometimes called the FreeBSD
License.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers