Improving the License Approval Proces (Was: FOR APPROVAL: The license of Multics)

Zak Greant zak.greant at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 21:15:28 UTC 2007

John's latest submission of the Multics license reminds me of a few
issues that have been rumbling around in the back of my head regarding
the license approval process:

* First, the license approval process is targeted at newly minted
licenses (perhaps produced mostly in private, such as the CPAL or the
OSHL). It doesn't fit so well for licenses that are already in use or
licenses that are produced by some relatively robust community
process.

* Second, I haven't noted anyone in the last four or five submissions
I've looked at following all of the steps in the process.

While some recent (within this year) posts have questioned the value
of the process, it is fairly key to having a fair and transparent
license review process.

I'm interested in what other people think on the topic.

--
Cheers!
--zak