For Approval: MLL (minimal library license)

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Nov 13 20:45:17 UTC 2007

John Cowan wrote:

> I can't make heads or tails of any of this thread.  The 3-clause BSD
> license doesn't have the advertising clause: the advertising clause was

Which rather makes my point that including text by reference to an
informal name isn't a good idea.

I basically made the assumption that there was something valid in the
proposal, and, as the proposer seemed to be assuming that the referenced
BSD version was GPL incompatible, and the only incompatibility I know of
between GPL and a BSD variant is the advertising clause, I just assumed
he was referring to a version with that clause.

> So what is all this about?  The 3-clause BSD is just as GPL-compatible
> as the MIT/X license.

Yes.  It does seem even more useless than it already appeared.  Either
the proposer incorrectly (or on the basis of some FUD rumour) believes
that variant is incompatible, or they really meant the older version.

--
David Woolley