Patent Liability Insurance

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Tue May 15 02:26:22 UTC 2007

Point of order.  It is not a risk that is more inherent in open source
than any other software development.  This is an industry-wide problem
it is just more public regarding open source.  Ask Vonage or anyone else
who has been on the business end of one of these patents whether it
matters if its open source or not.  I suggest you should be more worried
about a general insurance policy and more of an activist against the
existing silly patent system that is simply unworkable in software.

Patents are being granted on things where there is an obvious prior art.
  The Supreme court has even commented that they have been granted in
excess for the past several years.  I suggest this problem is much much
more broad than open source.

-Andy

--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite