For Approval: Educational Community License 1.0

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue May 8 18:11:02 UTC 2007

Brian Behlendorf scripsit:

> I don't see what you've suggested as being unique to the educational
> field - lots of large companies claim that it's impossible for them to
> keep track of their own IP, at first.  Lots of them have complex R&D
> projects that bind the resulting IP to exclusive licensing arrangements.

Indeed, I would be very leery of accepting an exclusive licensing
arrangement from anyone who would publicly admit to such administrative
incompetence.  What surety is there that the patent I have licensed,
supposedly exclusively, has not already been licensed exclusively
to someone else?  Suing the university or company would be small
satisfaction.

--
Barry gules and argent of seven and six,        John Cowan
on a canton azure fifty molets of the second.   cowan at ccil.org
        --blazoning the U.S. flag               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan