For Approval: Artistic License 2.0

Allison Randal allison at perl.org
Thu Mar 15 15:57:20 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Allison Randal wrote:
>> But not accurate. It means what it says: you can distribute compiled
>> forms as long as your distribution (or lack of distribution) of the
>> source code complies with Section 4.
>
> Do you intend that binary versions doesn't have to comply with section
> 4?  Could I for instance make a proprietary version of perl called
> "perl"?  I wouldn't be distributing source code that violated section 4.

No, modification without distribution is section 1. Under section 6, all
binary versions (compiled versions, etc) must comply with section 4. And
under section 4 you must either contribute your changes (as source) back
to the original project, change the name, or release your source code
under the Artistic License or a copy-left license. Distribution is
distribution, whether it's binary or source.

Allison