Followup on Exhibit B licences

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Thu Mar 15 04:28:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Timothy McIntyre wrote:
>>>
>> According to Sun's own explanation of the CDDL, "[w]herever software
>> distribution is mentioned, [we] added the phrase "or otherwise makes
>> available" to cover passive types of distribution, such as with ASPs."
>> This explanation is posted on their website at
>> http://www.sun.com/cddl/CDDL_why_details.html
>
> Thanks for posting that.  Interestingly, they don't mention it rationale
> in the CDDL FAQ for OpenSolaris
> (http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/licensing_faq/), which would be
> a pretty big omission since I think OpenSolaris is used quite often for
> network servers.  Perhaps they've turned away from that interpretation?

I think we need someone from Sun, or otherwise involved in defining the
CDDL, to speak up on this point here, as it appears there is significant
diversity of opinion on it.

Which brings up the further question - if I build a web site on
OpenSolaris, and deploy it publicly, am I making OpenSolaris "available"
to the outside world?  I would guess not - I'm making my web site
available, but to the outside world nothing distinguishes that web site
running on OpenSolaris from one running on FreeBSD.  If I enabled sshd?
With a guest sshd login?  Then, perhaps... yikes, talk about grey area!

 	Brian