Followup on Exhibit B licences

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Mar 7 15:19:17 UTC 2007

> Quoting Lawrence Rosen (lrosen at rosenlaw.com):
> > An open source license cannot (should not!) contain a trademark license.
>
> A possible compare-and-contrast item:  A gentleman named Larry Ozeran
> wrote to me, this evening, to ask my view of the Medsphere Public
> Licence (http://medsphere.org/license/MSPL.html) -- which task I
> approached with no enthusiasm, because I expected it would be more of
> the same.  It wasn't.

I appreciate Larry Ozeran's email. I was speaking generally on the matter of
trademark licenses, and did not criticize or even mention the Medsphere
Public License. Has it been submitted for approval?

Requiring the use of a unique logo or message that is NOT a trademark to
indicate attribution is not a trademark license. I assume the "Powered by
Medsphere" logo is not serving as a trademark because, if it were, its
permitted use on uncontrolled goods would risk its trademark status. I'm
also not sure what could be done, given this license, to protect Medsphere's
reputation if someone used the "Powered by Medsphere" logo on crappy
software derived from Medsphere's application.

/Larry Rosen