Followup on Exhibit B licences

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Mar 7 05:07:33 UTC 2007

John Cowan wrote:
> I think this is an over-interpretation on your part.  In general,
> if X compels Y to do Z, X is estopped from also enjoining Y from
> doing Z, particularly in the same breath lik this.  In effect,
> the requirement to use the trademarks is tantamount to a limited
> license to use them.

Whether it is an explicit or an implicit trademark license, this results in
a very different legal problem. A trademark license that doesn't give the
licensor control over the quality of the downstream goods bearing that
trademark leads to loss of the trademark. Yet with open source, the licensor
cannot control the quality of derivative works. Oops! Legal contradiction!

An open source license cannot (should not!) contain a trademark license.

/Larry Rosen