Politics-Free Licence ;)

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Jun 29 03:10:38 UTC 2007

Nicholas Cole wrote:
> On 6/28/07, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
>
>> There's no way the section can add to the meaning of derivative work.
>> If a work isn't derivative under copyright law, you can't make it be by
>> changing your license.
>
> Well then, can I achieve the same effect by adding a condition for use?

The only way you can /maybe/ overstep copyright law is by making it a
contract instead of a license.  A license can only license rights you
have (and implicitly prohibit the exercise of exclusive rights you have
but don't license).  A contract can do a lot more (but not everything),
as long as both parties agree.

IANAL, but I don't recommend this.  It is very troublesome to have
everyone explicitly agree to a contract, so licenses are better.

Matt Flaschen