when is an open source license open source?

Michael Tiemann tiemann at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 20:16:46 UTC 2007

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Michael Tiemann (tiemann at opensource.org):
>

>> Today I read a blog posting from Dana Blankenhorn
>> (http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1123) that has compelled me to
>> respond.  I may well be preaching to the choir on this list, but the
>> blog posting I wrote in response (http://opensource.org/node/163) is a
>> request for the choir to now sing as one.  If I am asking you to do
>> something you do not agree with, I'm sure you'll let me know.  If you do
>> agree, now is the time to be heard.  Thanks!
>>

> Michael, I brought this post immediately to the attention of _Linux
> Gazette_ editor Ben Okopnik and the magazine's staff, and I believe he's
> contacted you to offer material support.  We (the magazine) will
> certainly be doing additional coverage of the surrounding topic, and OSI's
> position will be highlighted.  (I should hasten to add that I'm
> sympathetic to the problems inherent in trying to do commerce with open
> source in the ASP field.)

Yes, we are in touch.  Thank you for that!

> I believe _The Register_ will also soon have some coverage.

I know it's not in your control, but I cannot help wonder whether this
is a good thing or a bad thing ;-)

BTW, I've also created a new thread specifically for my conversation
with David Richards (the CEO of Centric): http://opensource.org/node/165

GPG Key: F0AD 3368 D24A 56CD A2AD  6A12 CAB3 2E89 EA0A C0E4

The structure of world peace cannot be the work of one man, or one
party, or one nation...it must be a peace which rests on the cooperative
effort of the whole world. -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Part of the tragedy is of the artist is that there is no real goal in
achieving what you are naturally good at. The real satisfaction lies in
the things you accomplish by practice and effort.
  -- Joris van den Berg, commenting on the death of H. Cartier Bresson

Dream so big you can share -- me