For Approval: Common Public Attribution License (CPAL)

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Jun 27 06:37:08 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Well, the license /shouldn't/ (because of OSD #6 and the "selling" word
> in OSD #1) discriminate against commercial use.  Despite the strange
> phrasing, it actually does not.

The problem is that the "commercial use" in the above paragraph has a
different meaning (a common sense one) from the one defined in the
licence.  That, at best is confusing.  It would be easy to subvert the
OSD if licensors could chance the definition of "commercial use" used
within the wording of the OSD.

Incidentally, it seems to me that, in their definition of "commercial
use", it discriminates against non-commercial use, and, arguably, it
discriminates against non-commercial use in the sense intended by OSI.
I think that is the case even under US law, as I don't think there is a
right to modify under US law (and one could make modification illegal by
saying that the code contained intellectual property protection
mechanisms).  Doesn't the OSI actually say "field of endeavour", which
would include personal not for profit use.

Also, it explicitly includes "Use" under the uses permitted by the
licence.  That has an implication that, to the extent enforceable by
law, Use is not allowed without a licence.

Even if MPL is grand-fathered in and there is precedent that any implied
field of endeavour restrictions are not real, I don't think one should
be encouraging the inclusion of questinable wording in derived licences.

IANAL etc.

--
David Woolley