Simplified BSD license

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Tue Jun 5 16:29:00 UTC 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 5:53 AM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> After a brief back-and-forth with the board, here is my formal
> application for the simplified BSD license:
>
> 1) The proposed title for the license is "Simplified BSD license".
[ ... ]

The proposed license is obviously compliant with the Open Source
definition; to me, the only real question is whether the simplified
BSDL is actually different from the already-approved "new" or
"modified" BSDL for a separate approval for the simplified BSDL to be
meaningful.

If you check here:

     http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

...note that they've included the 1999 statement from UCal/Berkeley
stating that clause 3 is "hereby deleted in its entirety."  That
seems to suggest that the OSI board already recognizes both the
original 3-clause BSDL as well as the 2-clause BSDL you've called the
"Simplified BSD license".

--
-Chuck

PS: In point of fact, the last time I checked the sources for
something like BSD's libc, there were upwards of thirty minor
variants of the BSD license text present.