Do I need to inform my employer before contributing to an Open Source Project?

Simon Phipps Simon.Phipps at Sun.COM
Sat Jul 7 17:49:35 UTC 2007

On Jul 7, 2007, at 14:01, Joseph Hick wrote:

> there are two scenarios.
>
> 1. i am contributing to an open source project from my
> home. the project is in no way related to my job. (at
> work, i am involved with telecommunication software,
> where as i am contributing to linux kernel). do I need
> to inform my employer before working on this open
> source project, so that all my contributions can
> remain open source?
>
> 2. same as above, but this time my contribution to
> open source and my work for employer is related.
> (writing a proprietary shell and contributing to the
> open source bash)
>
> 3. i am creating an open source project during my
> spare time and planning to release it under GPL v3.
> work and my projects are not related.
>
> 4. same as above but my project is closely related to
> a product of my company that i work for.

In all four cases you should consult your contract of employment and
your employer's policy on open source software to answer these
questions. While members of this list can speculate, this is the only
way to start your deliberations.

S.