For Approval: Open Source Hardware License

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Sat Jul 7 14:49:45 UTC 2007

Version 0.5 of the OSHL seems compatible with the OSD.  Since, as I
understand it, the OSHL is essentially a software license covering
chip design source code, I am not sure why "all of the pre-existing
OSI-certified open source licenses" covering software are
inapplicable to "open source hardware."

The OSHL does not purport to protect the chip; it protects source
code.  And, certainly, it does not seem to matter directly in the
license-approval process what type of programming language (i.e.,
hardware design language) is used to produce the source code.  Hence,
the need for a license exclusively protecting hardware design
language source code is unclear to me.  Aside from the MIT- patent
issue, what unique requirements are unmet by the existing open source
licenses?

(BTW, regarding the patent issue, I am curious - do you mean MIT will
not accept patent grants or will not make patent grants?)

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
roddixon at cyberspaces.org