Combining GPLed code with codes of other licenses

Joseph Hick leet16y at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 09:21:23 UTC 2007

Thanks for your response. a related question just for
the sake of knowledge.

take for example, a n00by programmer who does not have
a good understanding of licenses combined codes from
different licenses and released it. What are the legal
implications in the following cases:-

1. The programmer combined GPLed code with code
covered under an incompatible license, added his own
code and released the work under GPL license.

2. Same as above, but he released the work under the
incompatible license.

what are the penalties the programmer or its
*users*[1] might have to pay if he refuses to
discontinue such distributions and decides to
continue?

[1] need to know about users because I want to know
whether the users of such dubious projects are at
risk.