For Approval: Open Source Hardware License

Simon Phipps Simon.Phipps at Sun.COM
Fri Jul 6 00:49:30 UTC 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 22:23, Wilson, Andrew wrote:

> Jamey Hicks wrote:
>>
>> There are no OSI-approved licenses for open source hardware, so I am
>> proposing this license.
>
> It is not immediately obvious to me why no existing, OSI-approved open
> source licenses,
> although not perhaps originally intended for such applications, could
> not also be used for hardware descriptions written in VHDL or Verilog.

Sun contributed to OpenSPARC the full design of the UltraSPARC T1,
including Verilog sources, emulators, tools and more, and used the
GPLv2 as the license. It is thus not obvious to me either why a
specific license is essential.

S.