InfoWorld: Pentaho opens up further (Exhibit B to real MPL)

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 31 01:16:39 UTC 2007

Matt Asay wrote:
> Sorry, Rick.  I misread your original message.
>
> As for my company's use of attribution, two responses:
>
> 1.  I don't think anyone on this list gives these companies the benefit of a
> doubt.

There's really no doubt involved.  It's obvious that the companies are
calling calling licenses that aren't OSI-approved "Open Source", and
many people (myself included) dislike that.

  I've been pushing the company toward the GPL since the day I
> started.

The real concern is with these companies as a whole, not you personally.

> 2.  It's OSI that is being slow on the attribution debate, not the
> companies.  A license has been submitted.  The ball is in OSI's court.  As
> such, it doesn't do much good to further hector the companies.  They've done
> what has been asked of them by OSI.  We just have to wait and see at this
> point.

First, the "license" (GAP) submitted was not a license actually being
used.  More importantly, as it became clear that the original GAP would
likely be rejected (at least to me), SocialText said they would submit
another license (MPL+modified GAP) this week.  I interpret that as an
implicit withdrawal of the original GAP.  Thus, the ball is in their court.

Matthew Flaschen