[META] DELETE ME FROM THE MAILING LIST

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 29 19:08:24 UTC 2007

From: "David Woolley" <david at djwhome.demon.co.uk>
> I admit that was the case I was thinking of, but it is far from uncommon
> for people who leave their PCs logged in to have colleagues forge mail
> from them.

There's another common case: someone working for an organization subscribed to the list, and was doing that with the agreement of their organization, but then he leaves the organization, and someone else gets the job of managing the incoming emails coming to the subscription address; he may not always know all the lists that were subscribed by his predecessor(s), and he may not want to keep the interests for those lists.

For this reason, many mailing lists are always including a link to the user's subscription management page, and are signing the source of the mailing list so that it can be checked against a list of compliant mailing list sources (that have been checked by wellknown trustable third parties).

If we don't include such links in every email sent by the mailing list (because this looks too much like what real spammers are including in every spam with fake "unsubscribe" links that are operated in fact as confirmation links), the alternative is to send a regular reminder, with a small frequency (monthly reminders, or reminders sent after every prefined number of relayed mails -- 100-200? -- are considered by many mailing list managers as not being abusive).