Dynamic linking, was: Re: Dispelling BSD License Misconceptions

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jan 26 15:51:43 UTC 2007

Arnoud Engelfriet scripsit:

> Specifically written to work only with one particular other program.
> Then it's a derivative. It is based on one pre-existing work and
> cannot function without that specific pre-existing work. That makes
> it a derivative in my book.

That comes awfully close to saying that if you write an article arguing
for some position, and I write another article arguing against yours,
that my work is a derivative of yours, even if I don't quote you (or at
least not beyond fair use/fair dealing).  That seems to me a socially
dangerous position (it would make life hard for lawyers!).

In particular, there exists the C Answer Book (Tondo & Gimpel), which
gives answers to the study questions in The C Programming Language
(Kernighan & Ritchie).  I can't see that it is a derivative work, even
though it is hardly usable without K&R.

--
We pledge allegiance to the penguin             John Cowan
and to the intellectual property regime         cowan at ccil.org
for which he stands, one world under            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Linux, with free music and open source
software for all.               --Julian Dibbell on Brazil, edited