Dynamic linking, was: Re: Dispelling BSD License Misconceptions

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Jan 25 22:29:01 UTC 2007

Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> If, as Matthew writes, part of the code is _specifically_ written to
> work only with GNU readline and no other library, then the code is
> a derivative work of GNU readline at the moment of creation.

Always???? So if I write a program to work only on Windows Vista and no
other system, is my code a derivative work of Windows?

> If you write to an API that happens to be implemented by GNU readline
> as well as others, I don't see how you can be a derivative of one
> particular implementation.

What if those "others" implemented their API in order to be functionally
compatible with GNU readline? Which came first and who copied who? I think
that we also have to carefully distinguish between copyrightable subject
matter and other forms of IP.

It is perhaps simpler to say that, to the extent that you write a program
that supports a particular API *without basing your expressive coding on
someone else's original copyrightable work*, there is no derivative work
problem.

Dynamic *or* static.

/Larry