[META] Mailing list issues, was: delite me from your mailing list

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Thu Jan 25 00:24:16 UTC 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 3:32 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> This whole experience concerns me on multiple levels. Why should we
> allow
> people (other than me and my friends, of course) ever to post
> repeated spam
> messages through some automatic script that they negligently invoke?

Are you volunteering your time to moderate postings to this list?
Switching to a moderated list would result in near-perfect removal of
spam and excessive unsubscribe requests being posted to all members....

> And why should it be so easy for malicious people (Matthew Flaschen
> explicitly
> excepted) to unsubscribe third parties from this list?

It's not.

When a mailing list program receives an unsubscribe request, it sends
an email containing a "magic cookie" in the message in the Subject
header, email body, and/or as part of an URL to the subscribed email
address.  Only if the recipient replies to the message preserving the
cookie, or clicks on the unsubscribe link, does that person actually
become unsubscribed.

> Can't someone find a more sophisticated subscription and posting
> mechanism than this email list?

EZMLM is mildly dated in terms of mailing list functionality,
although people who like qmail find it integrates well with EZMLM.

I am of the opinion that Mailman, www.list.org, would be a
significantly better solution as it by default ensures that an
unsubscribe link appears in the footer of all list messages, has
somewhat more secure handling of subscribe and unsubscribe cookies (I
don't believe it is as vulnerable to forged subscription requests as
EZMLM is), and it is smart enough to identify admin traffic like
people sending an unsubscribe request to the list itself and hold it
for moderator/list-admin action, rather than just blindly spamming
everybody on the list with noise.

Mailman also supports an option for enabling temporary list
moderation, so that a list which is under attack from spam,
flamewars, or subscribe/unsubscribe issues can be filtered and
moderated until things settle down, and then revert to unmoderated
behavior once things quiet down.

Of course, this is up to Russ Nelson as postmaster at opensource.org...

--
-Chuck