[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Jan 22 02:18:18 UTC 2007

Rick Moen wrote [about OSD #10]:
> That provision is _necessitated_ (and implied) by the right to fork and
> to create derivative works and use them for any purpose, but OSI had
> failed to realise it was necessary to say so in the OSD -- until the AAL
> come along and made OSI realise that, yes, some people _do_ feel
> impelled towards such goofy things.  Thus, it passed a new OSD provision
> to say "No, we meant to say, you can't do that, either."

That isn't historically correct.

OSD #10 was written in response to something entirely different. There were
attempts at that time to propose licenses that mandated "click-wrap" and
similar "I accept the license" interfaces in distributed open source
software. Much of the community thought it was unseemly to force a specific
method of license acceptance onto future software distribution modes,
specifically downstream derivative works that would have to retain
technologically obsolete or interactive code for contract formation
purposes. The OSI Board decided to foreclose such license provisions by
adopting OSD #10. Thereafter, an open source license could require a
"reasonable effort under the circumstances to obtain the express assent of
recipients" (see AFL/OSL 3.0 § 9) but nothing more technologically specific.

As with the Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, when you say something in
the OSD you are bound to interpret that provision consistently when other
newer technologies and facts come around. So if it was improper under OSD
#10 for an open source license to mandate upon derivative works a technology
of license assent (presumably to encourage people to do what's best to
protect them legally, but that's not enough reason to tamper with freedom!),
shouldn't it also be improper to mandate a technology for author
attribution?

There may also be another object lesson in here for attorneys proposing GAP.
At the time of OSD #10, I was general counsel of OSI, and I simultaneously
was leading the effort to allow open source licenses to mandate "click-wrap"
because some licensors felt they needed the extra level of legal protection
that contract formation brings. I was roundly Slash-dotted. The Board
overrode my objections when they adopted OSD #10 and I, as their lawyer, did
what my clients wanted.

By way of apology, I long ago realized the community was right and I was
wrong. The general principle that today's technology shouldn't lock in the
future is a sound one. The Board made the right decision when it adopted OSD
#10.

We should not give up that principle lightly now that the GAP is before us.
In particular, any specific technology mandated by a license for derivative
works ought to be justified upon the strongest of grounds. I haven't heard
that yet for GAP.

Business model success isn't, in my mind, those strong grounds. Remember
that, regardless of what the OSI Board decides about the GAP, its licensors
will remain free to distribute source code and to authorize their licensees
to create free copies and derivative works--and free to demand certain
attribution (or contract formation) procedures in derivative works. It
simply won't be an OSI-approved license. It won't conform to OSD #10. It
won't be open source software as we now define it.

/Larry