[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Jan 21 00:51:21 UTC 2007

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Okay baring that (and I agree it is a stretch) then I don't really see a
> #6.
> I still think you missed the crux of my argument (that logos have value
> where
> works cited type attribution does not).  I'd like to see (I realize I
> may have to wait
> since it is the weekend) some others sound off on whether they could
> join a #6
> argument (and reach a consensus as to which one).  If not then I don't
> think it should go in the paper
> (http://www.buni.org/mediawiki/index.php/GAP_Against), but might be
> attached as a minority report.  My comments are restricted to the
> socialtext GAP license.

I don't think appealing to OSD #6 is necessary.  I think the license
undoubtedly violates OSD #10 (someone just suggested modifying OSD #10
so it wouldn't!), has OSD #3 problems, and would result in massive
license proliferation if truly approved as a "generic" provision.

> Has anyone written Mr. Mayfield with suggested improvements to the
> language of his license?

Well, I noted the grammatical problems in my comparison of AAL to GAP (a
list post), and one would dearly hope he (or an employee) is subscribed
to the list and reads post relevant to his submission.

> It would be nice to have an up or down vote on
> the substance rather than the structural problems of the license
> provision.  I have a draft of how I wish it was written (clarity-wise),
> but if others agree this is a good course of action I would prefer it be
> reviewed first.
>
> -Andy

The Board can't approve a license (or provision) different from the one
submitted.  For that reason, it's a bit futile for us to discuss a
different license.  We can speculate (and I have privately) about how
the license should read, but Socialtext doesn't seem interested in
modifying its submission.

I would like to see a gramatically correct license submitted and discussed.

Matthew Flaschen