SocialText license discussion--call for closure of arguments

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Sat Jan 20 11:10:24 UTC 2007

I'm discounting all emotional content of messages in this thread and
focusing on the
constructive content.
> o  Just append an advertising clause to MPL 1.1 so onerous that no
>    competitors are going to be able within reason to assert their OSD#6
>    rights to use the code for any purpose.  And then claim in public
>    that it's open source, which you'll get away with if you

Do you think this is a fair argument (OSD #6)?  It seems to me for this
to be justified the
license would have to specify this clearly: "Must not be used by FirmX"
or "Must not be used to XYZ"

While other licenses, such as Zimbra's which is mentioned in the license
go far enough I think to make the argument that it would be
"impractical", I don't think the license we're discussing goes that
far.  I interpret it to warrant space on the splash screen or any
startup notice similar to the original software (I see other problems
with this but not OSD #6).

Can you clarify or make a stronger case for why it makes #6 impossible?

-Andy

--
No PST Files Ever Again
Buni Meldware Communication Suite