Strange Messages from Amazon.com

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller robin at roblimo.com
Fri Jan 19 14:28:35 UTC 2007

> What is happening is that some spammer sends an email with a return
> address here - and it ends up hitting one of Amazons servers - so that
> server bounces it.

Quite likely. As the "complaint department" for OSTG sites, I get a lot
of "STOP SPAMMING ME OR I'LL DO SOMETHING TERRIBLE TO YOU" emails,
including many that claim they're getting emails from our site alias
email addresses that have no outbound capability.

Using a fake email return address is a typical spammer "deflect the
anger" trick. Here's a Wikipedia entry on the topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

Sometimes the spoofed "from" addresses are selected randomly, and
sometimes they are grabbed from zombie computers' Outlook address folders.

I believe the latter is more common. The only 100% sure cure for it is,
of course, to ban all Windows computers from the Internet.

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
OSTG