GPL

Rod Dixon roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Wed Jan 17 16:57:53 UTC 2007

The original post requires an answer that is a little more nuanced
than John's answer.  "Acceptance" of the terms of a contractual
agreement - i.e. a software license - can be implied, the formation
of the license need not explicitly require an act manifesting assent
to the terms (but ensuring that the licensee "expresses" a clear
intent to accept the terms of the license is good practice); at
least, theoretically, without manifestation of assent, the licensor
leaves the question of acceptance of terms and, ultimately, whether
the licensee is bound as questions open for dispute.

For discussion purposes, if an end-user can "run" software (meaning
use it as an executable) without being bound by a license, then the
default rules of Copyright law should apply (in the U.S.) and that
means the software is not open source for the end-user  since
copyright law does not make software open source by default.  If
leaving the default rules of copyright controlling is intended by the
copyright holder, then the warranty disclaimer would be more
effective if it is NOT placed in a license that is non-binding.  The
effectiveness of the disclaimer, of course, may be restricted by
state law.

Rod Dixon