GPL

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 17 15:26:28 UTC 2007

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Maybe this is off topic but Brian started it :-)  So the GPL doesn't
> require acceptance of the license to run the software.  Does this mean
> that the warranty disclaimer only applies to distribution?  Meaning if
> you don't distribute but only run it, may I, the author be liable?

IANAL, I don't think so.  First of all, there's a warranty disclaimer
"This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
GNU General Public License for more details." in the recommended notice.
 Second, I don't think you *can* agree to a warranty disclaimer;
something just gets disclaimed (presumably legally) and you deal by
using or not using the product. The warranty disclaimer is detailed in a
section of the license document, but isn't otherwise related (as a
permission or restriction)

Matthew Flaschen