Yet another 'What License Is Best For Me?'

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Wed Jan 17 14:08:36 UTC 2007

David Favro wrote:
> So, I started looking for license resources and have found a number of
> lists of licenses on the web, including opensource.org's, but they seem
> to be mostly just lists, without giving much summary information about
> what is unique about each license, so my only option is to read each
> license, try to parse the legalese, and see which one comes closest to
> what I am seeking -- which is a daunting task, considering the number of
> OSS licenses floating around.  I wish there was a sort of matrix around,
> with licenses down the side and columns with checkmarks like,
> "GPL-compatible," "Copyleft", "Allows Commercial Use," etc... but I did
> not find it.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but it is simply not compatible
with the principles of free software or open source.

Both the definition of free software and the definition of open source
include the right to (re)sell the software. This is explicit in OSD #1:

1. Free Redistribution

The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away
the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution
containing programs from several different sources. The license shall
not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself