[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Michael Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Thu Jan 4 04:23:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 23:10 -0500, DShofi at atmi.com wrote:
> From there, it is the market that will drive good behavior with regard
> to use of the term (as opposed to the certification mark).

Well, I suppose this is a policy issue for the OSI. Personally, I'm
skeptical of this approach. Are you familiar with the term
'greenwashing'?

It seems to me that even though the OSI has no property interest in the
term 'open source', The OSI does have a moral interest and authority,
and there is definitely plenty of room for the OSI to counter, loudly
and clearly, attempts at corporate 'openwashing'. No other organization
can currently fill this role.

- Michael R. Bernstein
  michaelbernstein.com