Use of "open source"

DShofi at atmi.com DShofi at atmi.com
Wed Jan 3 15:31:12 UTC 2007

Matthew wrote:

> I think it meets the OSD.  However, please don't call it open source
> unless/until OSI approves it.

While I agree that license proliferation makes it harder to consolidate
code bases and determine license compatibility and while I understand the
usefulness of the OSI certification mark program, it seems that the OSI is
in no position to restrict anyone's labelling and use of a license as
"open source" that satisfies all of the definitional characteristics even
if it is not OSI approved.  What am I missing?  Why urge that the term
"open source" be withheld unless approved?

David