Alfresco shifts to GPL

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Feb 23 19:04:14 UTC 2007

Matt Asay wrote:
> Indeed, I've been working toward this for the past 1.5 years.

Congratulations.
> On that note, I want to express thanks to everyone on this list who helped
> to hound us (and others).

Sure.  Now go out and be a successful example. ;) On that note, I don't
get "We provide Community free of charge and offer no support for the
product, paid or otherwise"
(http://www.alfresco.com/legal/licensing/whitepaper/).  If you really
want "encourage everyone to use the GPL" then why won't you *sell*
support for the GPL version?  Everyone says they're going to charge for
support but then instead makes money off these illusory Enterprise
editions, which in your case are apparently bit-for-bit identical, yet
somehow "better tested" or "certified".  Other parts of that white paper
are sketchy too, like "if you are distributing unmodified copies of
Alfresco Community over a Web site, please do this by providing a link
directly to our site" and "Alfresco users may freely modify our source
code without contributing anything back to us, provided that they do not
distribute these derivative works."  On the latter, maybe it's mixing up
contributing back (i.e. copyright assignment) with GPL licensing.

However, kudos on "To make this easier for you, our source downloads –
as opposed to our binaries – do not include our logos."

Matthew Flaschen