Introducing Open Solutions Alliance

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller robin at roblimo.com
Mon Feb 19 13:54:09 UTC 2007

Matthew,

I'd love to keep giving you point-by-point responses, but you seem to
have much more time to ask questions than I have to answer them.

Someday, when Wachovia, which holds my mortgage, electricity provider
Florida Power and Light, Publix supermarkets, the insurance company that
just *tripled* the cost of my homeowners insurance,  and the rest of the
companies that  get so much of my income all adopt "free as in beer"
policies I will be able to be more responsive.  Or perhaps writers will
start getting paid as much as programmers so that we, too, can work
comparatively short hours doing paid work and spend the rest of our time
on "labor of love" work. Meanwhile, I have a large family that relies on
me for all or some of their income and I must keep a grueling schedule
to meet my many obligations.

All the points you make are good ones. In an ideal world all the changes
you suggest in OSTG's behavior would have been made long ago -- and we'd
have an honest government and we'd all be a lot nicer to each other in
general. Sadly, right now we (or at least I) live in a country where
most of us can only hope to do a little good each day in between taking
care of other responsibilities, and this limits our ability to build a
utopian world where all digital information is free/free.

Also, please realize that many efforts on behalf of free and/or open
source software -- including most of mine -- happen quietly, in the
background, without publicity. I am not by nature a self-promoter, and I
have revealed more of what I am doing in in this series of emails than I
have revealed over the last four or five years in any medium.

I will now crawl back into my hole and leave the philosophical questions
to people more suited to deal with them while I quietly crank the wheels
that help keep a whole bunch of things going, most of which I believe
will eventually lead to a world a little closer to the ideal one we both
envision -- or that will at least hold back a little of the tide of
greed and selfishness that threatens to destroy what I like to think of
as "enlightened civilization."

- Robin