Introducing Open Solutions Alliance

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller robin at roblimo.com
Tue Feb 6 13:14:29 UTC 2007

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Brian Behlendorf (brian at collab.net):
>

>> p.s. - I asked Rick an off-list question back when the attribution thread
>> started because I wasn't sure about my own line of legal reasoning for
>> something, and wanted to avoid public embarrassment, since Rick can be
>> pretty devastating in his replies.  Looks like that didn't work!
>>

> I'm sorry you feel that way, and certainly meant no offence:  I mostly
> noted the primary OSA backing (and presumable founding membership) from
> Dark Horse Ventures DBA CentricCRM, whose supposedly "open source"
> licensing is extremely and categorically proprietary by basically
> anyone's standards, including (say) John Roberts / SugarCRM.

The companies that seem to be driving the OSA so far do not all use the
same type of license, and licensing has not come up in conversations
I've had with their representatives. We focused strictly on advocacy and
interoperability.

I'm sure licensing questions will be raised at the LinuxWorld Jr.
presentation. I'll be there with my video camera and lots of tape...

- Robin