update on attribution license discussion

Michael Tiemann tiemann at opensource.org
Thu Feb 1 21:33:06 UTC 2007

As you may know, the initial license submitted by SocialText for review
by the license-discuss committee has been withdrawn for revision.  The
OSI board held a meeting this morning to discuss, among other things,
the state of the attribution discussion, and two things are clear:

1.  The license-discuss members are as engaged as ever, and have shown
great initiative by organizing the arguments that reflect their
position.  I'd like to say thank you for those who have participated in
that exercise.  (And to say "stay tuned" as we await whatever new
license comes next.)

2.  We don't know precisely when we will see new text, so the deadline
that I set for making a decision must be reset.  I believe that if we do
see new text in the next 1-2 weeks, it will likely take 1-2 weeks to
revise/update the various positions to relate to the new text, which
means that the OSI board might--might--be able to render a decision
based on the recommendation of the license review committee in March.
The OSI board re-commits to being responsive to this issue, both in
terms of hearing all arguments and acting in a timely and responsible
fashion.  There are some really important issues wrapped up in these
discussions, and we want to render a decision that is both correct and
empowering.