Question on OSD #5

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Sat Dec 15 15:11:22 UTC 2007

"Chris Travers" <chris.travers at gmail.com> writes:
> I have seen licenses which purport to require that anyone who modifies a
> work send a patch back to the original developer.  If this is triggered on
> any modification, then "private" modifications aren't so private anymore.

I realize that YANAL, but is this even legal / enforcable?

> My own views are that forced distribution licenses such a the AGPL [...]

I wouldn't call the AGPL a "forced distribution license"; it just
takes a different view of what constitutes "distributing a binary"
(which triggers the recipient's right to obtain the source).  I don't
find that unreasonable in these Web 2.0 / SAAS days.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Senior Software Developer